Sunday

My Finistère - Roman baths and eternal bliss

Not quite Finistère - I'm on the other bank of the beautiful Douron estuary at Locquirec - technically Cote D'Armor.  Here, the natural rise of sandy dunes and blue green cypress pines create a dappled oasis.  Wandering through the trees on this balmy, summer afternoon .... following old tracks and enjoying the moment .... I find myself at the ruins of the Hogolo Roman baths.  Built in the 1st century AD., I wonder how many people, over thousands of years, have cherished this coast .... that appreciation of beauty and leisure time have always existed.












Interesting fact:  The remains of the Hogolo Roman bathhouse were only discovered by accident in 1892 - they'd been abandoned in the 3rd century AD. and buried under sand dunes.

Prints of my paintings in my New! Online Shop

Paintings at Melanie McDonald Gallery 

Join the chat with me on Twitter 
Say hello on Facebook
Pin me on Pinterest 
Follow my pictures on Tumblr